Sunday, December 13, 2009

Adventures in Houston

Houston may be home to urban sprawl that would make L.A. blush, but amid the giant office towers (even in residential neighborhoods thanks to minimal zoning) you can find a real true diner. Although Avalon Diner happens to be located in a Houston strip mall, its the real deal. Last Friday, my colleague and I were driving down Westheimer Road looking for a place to have lunch before we flew back to Seattle. In the River Oaks area we happened on Avalon Diner and decided to check it out. The diner, which opened in 1938 across from its present location, is not one of those kitschy, after-the-fact recreations. Except for the styrofoam cups that the ice tea comes in you'd think you were back in the Fifties.

We sat at the counter and had the pleasure to meet Velma, whose apron said she had been working at Avalon since 1975. After 34 years on her feet, it's no wonder Velma sat down next to me to take our order, but she apparently is one of the newbies. Her co-workers Cassie and Sarah have worked at the Avalon since 1966 and 1968! The photo at the top is the trio, with Velma in the middle, and the year they started proudly embroidered on their aprons.

I was so intrigued that I wrote down their names and years they started, which Velma noticed and asked what I was doing. I think she might have been worried I was some inspector or something, but I told her I was going to write a blog about Avalon and she graciously agreed to let me take her picture with her co-workers.

We ordered the meatloaf with red sauce, mashed potatoes and warm corn bread muffins. It was fast and it was great. What a wonderful find in a time where "history" seems seems mean what happened ten years ago. Thank you to Velma, Cassie and Sarah for making Avalon a true gem and thanks for your dedication.

Now on an even lighter side, here's a photo I took at the Galleria before we found the Avalon. I couldn't resist the juxtaposition. In fairness, the school buses actually were parked at the Dillards (not pictured, but also nearby), but their proximity to Zone d'Erotica was irresistable and perhaps a lesson in situational awareness. So long Houston!

No comments:

Post a Comment